Monday 10 September 2012

FLYING HIGH


                            Flying  High


Welcome to my second post
 I hope everyone had a great weekend, If you were down at Bondi this weekend you would have not only have seen one kite you would have seen thousands it was the Festival Of The Winds, It was a very busy weekend not only for the average punter going to the beach, it was also very busy for the Lifeguards. On the Saturday, the kite area was all fenced off  and the professional amateur kite flyer's got there kite projects up for the big test run before the big day.




While all the kite flyer's were doing their thing, Harries and the boys were having a laugh about the kite festival.




Having a sing and laugh with harries about the big blue bear.


A prank on pack up Kerr Box gets Jesse






As I got to work on the Sunday morning Kerr box had informed me and the team that a man had  fallen off a cliff the night before up near Dover heights the police had been searching for him all night for the people that Don’t know Dover Heights,  it is approx 2km north from Bondi Beach. At around 9am we got a call to help with the search myself and harries launched the Jet ski and started our search for the missing man, as we were searching we got another call from Bondi central saying that there was another job for us. While all of this was happening the police located the missing man and retrieved him.

 The second job we got was a report that an outrigger with 5 people on board was sinking about 2km off north bondi point. As we were driving the Jet Ski to the incident the police rescue launch boat had turned up with us and was picking the patients up, they were all safe and the outrigger was fully submerged under the water. The police asked if we could help retrieve the submerged outrigger with the police boats rope. Harries turned straight around and said to me, "you're in mate!" I said to him "you're kidding me?" so I put on a brave face and acted like a hero in front of all the patients and the police and dived in even though I was absolutely Shitting myself.

As I swam up to the submerged outrigger I put the looped rope around the outrigger's bow I then climbed in to it and started to try and do lots of knots, the police were yelling out "do a bowline knot" I replied "if you don’t know knots tie lots" and so I did. I then gave the thumbs up and dived back in to the very deep and murky water, harries picked me up while my fingers were crossed, hoping that my lots of knots would hold up not surprisingly they held up myself and harries were shocked :). And in the distance I saw the big police boat and the outrigger cruising back to Sydney harbour, we then headed back to Bondi to a wall off kites and thousands of people and it was only 10.30am.


Through out the day the crowds and kites got bigger and bigger, there was close to 25,000 down at Bondi mid afternoon on the beach.






This week after 3 months break our summer seasonal, temp-part time and casual lifeguards are back on the sand not only at Bondi, but Bronte and Tamarama as well for the next 9months, we have a great team and it’s been pretty much the same team for 4 years. We have a new addition new trainee "Taco" this season, they are forecasting a very dry and hot summer no doubt we are going to have a busy season, bring it on.




I hope everyone has a great and safe week and stay tuned for the next post, 


"Do not dwell in the past, do not dream of the future, concentrate the mind on the present moment."


until next time :)
MAXI

12 comments:

  1. Awww love it and well done getting the submerged outrigger. What the heck did you throw over Jesse? looks like pee .__. Cant wait to meet Taco and hopefully someday I'll be training down there with you all. Gonna take a while though :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved the videos haha. That bear kite looks freaking massive :| And all those kites in the air looks a bit stupid if you ask me...where is the beautiful blue sky, I can barely see it :p The group shot is awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haaa!! Laughed soo much at this especially the youtube videos!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well done maxi!!! I can tie a bowline!!!! I learnt at scouts. I don't like scouts any more it took me away from your twitter for a week! Can you follow or tweet me. It would mean everything to me. Your my idol. Im proud of that. I don't hide it. Have you ever worn a maxi dress? I think you should take a photo of you wearing one and out it on your blog or twitter!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your job is surreal to me. I spend my day in a concrete box. I have a proposition for you: I will edit your blog posts for grammar and punctuation (maintaining your tone) to encourage grammatical fluency for all the young girlies who swoon over your handsomeness. In exchange you can make a list of some awesome local spots for me to check out when I visit Sydney (not near enough in the future). If you're interested, I can edit your current post and send it as an example.

    ReplyDelete
  6. really wish i had your job. you do a wonderful job.
    l.r x

    ReplyDelete
  7. He doesn't need you to edit his blog, don't be so rude!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. well done maxi on the blog love the vids there unreal how's the bloke with the spinal injury hope he alright im starting to do the fitness now haha its fun but hard! hopfully ill be there in the next two years can't wait will you add me on google+ so i can ask you questions on being a lifeguard please thanks?:):D

    ReplyDelete
  9. my name is alana hickey it does come up x :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. i love your blog maxi really wish i had your job x the sky is blue everyday and no rain to be seen . love all your vids poor jesse lol x

    p.s your too handsome x love you lots

    ReplyDelete